VicMan Software Users Community

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dedicated Slideshow?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:10 am 

I was asked to create a slideshow for an upcoming event. It's somewhat simple with about 50-100 pictures that could be split into two separate shows.

First, I want to thank all the developers for their hard work on this incredible program! It is truly useful and well designed.

Anyway, I have a few issues. First, this is mainly intended to be a screensaver. It doesn't really attempt to display all the pictures, in a certain order, etc. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to make the camera go in a certain order to show pictures? I also find it annoying how as it starts slowing down to show a full screen image, the process of moving to stopping takes so long that the individual picture time is way too long.

I have a whole bunch of other ideas but I don't want to swamp the community with ideas. My hope is that I could use this to show the pictures at our event, which is only a week away or so. I also need something to present ahead of time in less than a week.

If there was a way to write a custom camera motion script that would help control the camera and improve its good tendencies while reducing the bad ones, it would be so much more useful for actually showing slideshows.

I basically want it to use all the incredible environment as some frosting on the cake. It shouldn't be 80% of the experience. Transitions could be as simple as fading (or just instantly) changing from full screen picture to picture on the wall...then somewhat quickly move to the right and go full screen when 50% of the image is visible...it could even fade out the background (frame and wall) as it's moving so there would be no sudden surprises. It is especially annoying when pictures are portraits because there are large bars on the sides.

And at the edge of the room (corners), then it should turn around, walk across the middle of the room, and show the other side of the room. The sequence could randomly choose another wall furthest away--that's when the amazing environment will shine.

Also, as the full screen images are shown, (hopefully shown as the background fades) they should pan and scan...zoom. Start full screen and slowly zoom in to a random portion of the photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:14 am 

The height should also be able to dynamically adjust based on the picture on the wall. As it's closing in on a photo, it should try to center the photo as best as possible (with a border around all sides so whole photo is showing).

Then, the zoom speed can simply be slowed as the edges fade out. For portrait photos (with bars), the background (frame and wall) could remain there but only much much darker.

For perfect aspect ratio photos (ones that fill the screen), the background stuff could fade as the camera zooms into the photo and eventually, the photo will fill the screen...and then continue zooming in slowly.

It could then slow to a stop (quickly) and reverse somewhat quickly. It would provide the ultimate, smooth experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 am 

Sorry, but another idea:

If the speed of motion could be changed (when in manual mode), then I could slow it way down and manually control the camera to exactly what I want.

I want the keyboard to be less sensitive with slight fade offs in speed. Don't just stop when I let up. Also, tapping the key could increase the speed slightly.

And I want the mouse to be more sensitive. It requires way too much motion that I have to leave my mouse pad to make usable turns. Then, I could control it. However, I wouldn't want to control it live so I'd need a way to record it...ideally some way better than just video out to a DVD recorder or such...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Interesting ideas... Things to think about. Thank you for them. And for appreciation! :wink:
Unfortunately we cannot promise quick implementation of these things, but we think they are reasonable. And very likely will be implemented in some way.